20th September 2009

Black Mold Growing Inside A Rental

I will just start this post off by saying, “DUH!!

Because expressing how dumb that was in words just wouldn't workNow that I’ve gotten that out of my system…I recently received a call from a tenant who let me know that for three-weeks now, she had noticed that there was black mold growing on the walls of a hall closet in her rental unit.

She also mentioned that two of her kids have asthma and they could not stay in the house due to the mold causing decreased breathing capacity.  And she mentioned that she’s been trying to clean the mold with bleach but it keeps coming back.

I arrived at the property to find that the air conditioning drain-line was clogged and the unit was draining into itself and causing a pool of water to form underneath where air comes into the system. The closet with the mold is right next to another closet which houses the A/C unit.

I cleared the drain line and let the weekend elapse. Today, miraculously, the mold was gone and everything was dry.

DUH!!

I wonder what would happen if I attached an intelligence test attached to our rental application.

There are currently 9 responses to “Black Mold Growing Inside A Rental”

Why not let us know what you think by adding your own comment! Your opinion is as valid as anyone elses, so come on... let us know what you think.

1. 1 On September 26th, 2009, Pictures Of Black Mold On A Lawn said:

[...] Black Mold Growing Inside A Rental I recently received a call from a tenant who let me know that for three-weeks now, she had noticed that there was black mold growing on the walls of a hall closet in her rental unit. She also mentioned that two of her kids have asthma. [...]

2. 2 On October 8th, 2009, Lori said:

clogged air conditioner line? sounds like landlord maintenance responsibility in the first place…yes?

3. 3 On October 9th, 2009, TheLandlord said:

Lori,
    The point is that the tenant should have reported the situation immediately and not three weeks after the fact. Hence, the “facepalm” picture. Thanks for your comment though.

4. 4 On October 21st, 2009, Alison said:

If you used an intelligence test, you might not ever rent.

5. 5 On May 15th, 2010, Halley said:

My mother is renting out a property in CA and the tenants waited three months to report mold and are now sueing her for damages. I was wondering what her legal rights are.

6. 6 On May 16th, 2010, TheLandlord said:

Of course your mother will have to retain an attorney but it sounds to me like the tenants waited too long to report the mold and in my opinion, could be counter-sued for removal of the mold. Please post back here and let us know how this turns out.

7. 7 On October 28th, 2010, disgustedbyarrogantlandloradjerks said:

Why is it so horrible that the tenant tried to fix the problem on her own if she thought it might be easy? how does it reflect on her intelligence that she doesn’t know how to repair an air conditioner?

In short, I think you have a nice tenant and you’re lucky you weren’t sued for damages from the kids allergic reactions!

8. 8 On October 28th, 2010, TheLandlord said:

To the previous commenter: Did you even read the post? She did not try to fix the problem. She just let it leak. FOR THREE WEEKS. And for your information, I basically kicked her out before her lease term was up and will be suing her in small-claims court for the damage she caused.

So, no. Not a good tenant.

9. 9 On January 2nd, 2011, onceahomeownwebutarenternow said:

The few comments here from landlords are about as slumloard as it gets! We pay you to money to keep these homes in good livable comdition! And maybe the renter that is being insulted, has lived in better cleaner homes than this where the property owner actually cares about their investment!! She shouldn’t have to “fix” the problem the owner should! And to TheLandlord, why wouldn’t YOU be smart enough to make sure you go over these kinds of issues to prevent any of this from happening in the first place?!!! If I gave my landlady an intellegence test before I put my family in her property she would be screwed!